Find out how to apply for the J D Fergusson Arts Award.
The J. D. Fergusson Arts Award Trust aims to encourage promising Scottish artists by giving an annual award. Awards are given in alternating years for Exhibition (development and production of new work) and Travel (research and development).
We are now accepting applications for the 2018 J D Fergusson Arts Award, which is for an travel. The award of around £3,000 – 4,000 is to enable the winning artist the opportunity to create a new body of work.
Information and application guidelines
Who can apply?
The award is open to artists working in any visual arts discipline, within the following criteria:
- If you were born in Scotland or have spent more than half your life resident in Scotland.
- Any professional training undertaken was completed three years ago or more.
- Any awards or support received (e.g. residencies, grants) within the last two years were not over the value of £1,000 on any one occasion.
- You are not an elected member of any of the major award giving artistic bodies, e.g. RSA, RSW.
- You have not previously won the J D Fergusson Arts Award.
The closing date for applications is 31 October 2017.
The exhibition award
The exhibition award gives the opportunity for an artist to develop a project, resulting in new work for a solo show, held at the Fergusson Gallery, Perth.
The travel award
The travel award supports an artist to travel to their chosen destination in order to research and develop their artwork.
Value of the award
The value of the award is determined annually by the Trustees.
The following aspects are taken into account for the judging process:
- The quality of artwork.
- The strength of an applicant’s proposed project outlined in their supporting statement, in particular how they intend to use the award to significantly develop their work and further their career.
- The length of time an applicant has been working as an artist (either full or part-time).
- The support an applicant has received from other bodies.
How to apply?
- Please complete the electronic form (Opens in a new window) or download the printable version [111kb] of the form and email it to us along with your images to email@example.com
- You will also be asked to upload 6 to 10 digital images of your recent work. If this is a problem please contact the JD Fergusson Arts Awards administrator: firstname.lastname@example.org or t: 01738 783425. Images must be clearly labelled with your name, and the title, medium and dimensions of the work.
- If you wish to check that your application has been received please call 01738 783425.
- From the submitted applications, the judging process selects a short list of approximately seven artists, from which the final winner is chosen by the Trustees and three external invited assessors. The Trustees decision is final and all applicants are informed by letter of the Trustees decision.
- The winner is announced in March of the year following the closing date, and is required to sign an Agreement with the J D Fergusson Arts Award Trust and Perth and Kinross Council.
- Winners of both the exhibition and travel awards are required to gift an example of their recent work to Perth and Kinross Council for its permanent collection. This is selected in conjunction with the Council’s Cultural Service staff.
Additional information: exhibition award
- There is no restriction on the theme or content of the proposed exhibition, subject to the resources available, plus any legal or moral implications.
- The exhibition is usually held at The Fergusson Gallery in Perth.
- The Trust takes 20% commission of all sales of artwork sold during the course of the exhibition.
For general enquiries
Please contact the JDFAAT Administrator: email@example.com or phone: 01738 783425.