Trial period now ended – any downloaded music is still yours to keep!
Our Freegal trial period has now come to an end and we hope you have enjoyed using this service to download free and legal music while it has been available to library members.
Please be assured that any music that you have already downloaded will still be available for you to keep.
Instructions on how to do this are available in the Freegal music FAQs.
Mobile Device/Freegal App users
How do I backup Freegal Music from my iOS mobile device into iTunes?
- Plug your iOS device into your computer. Please select “Yes” if you see a pop-up asking if you trust this device.
- Open up iTunes on your computer and you should see an icon of your device appear to the right of the “More” button (three dots) on the left side of your screen, under the player. Click on the picture to open your device.
- On the left of your computer screen you will see the option bar. Select “Apps” which will open the “Apps” screen and scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click to highlight Freegal Music under “File Sharing”. A folder named after your library card number will appear to the right of your screen.
- Click to highlight the folder shown, then click “Save To”. A popup will appear to select where to save the file. (It’s easiest to select desktop and Click “Save to”.)
- Disconnect your device from computer.
- On your computer open iTunes and click on the music icon.
- On your desktop, or wherever you elected to save it, you should see your music folder. Click to open the folder on your computer, then click on “Music” folder that appears. Select and drag the song files back into your Music Library within iTunes. This will add the song(s) to iTunes where you can sync it to any other device using iTunes.
*Additional Note: PC-users will not see “Save to” when saving the file to their desktop rather they will see “Select Folder”. Click this button where your songs and folder will transfer the same.
How do I get music off my Android device onto my computer?
To retrieve music from your Android device, the easiest method is to plug your Android device into your PC or Mac.
On a PC, once you connect your device, driver software should install automatically if not already installed. For troubleshooting on a specific device please check the Android forums (for example http://www.xda-developers.com/) it should be detected automatically. If not, open up Computer to see your device. Choose to browse Internal Storage, then open the folder titled “Freegal Music”. Inside this folder, you will see another folder labeled with your patron card number. This folder contains all of your Freegal Music downloads (songs and videos) that you’ve gotten through the Freegal Music app. Simply drag this folder to your desktop, and once the transfer is complete you can then move the songs and videos wherever you’d like on your computer.
On a Mac, depending on the version of Android, you’ll need some additional software.
For Android 2.3, you can plug the device in and select the option (on the Android device) to mount as a disk. From this point you can find the device through Finder, open the device, then open the folder titled “Freegal Music”. Inside this folder will be your patron barcode folder. You can then drag this folder to your desktop. Once it copies, you can drag it straight into iTunes and iTunes should be able to sort your music.
For Android 4.0 or newer, you can download the Android File Transfer software http://www.android.com/filetransfer/ .
This software, once installed, will open automatically when you plug your Android device into your Mac. Once it opens you will see the file system of your device. Open the Freegal Music folder, and drag your patron barcode folder to your desktop. From there you will be able to move your music around your Mac and into iTunes.